On-Call 24 Hours a Day (866) 439-9318

We're Here When Disaster Strikes  NorthStar Restoration Services provides 24 hour emergency response.
Peeling walls and visible mold - signs you might have mold in your house

6 Signs You Might Have Mold in Your House

Mold is one of the most common problems in households. While it doesn't always have to be dangerous, it can cause significant structural damage to your home. Additionally, it's pretty hazardous for your health and general well-being. Mold is typically found in wet and dark areas, such as basements and abandoned buildings. Unresolved leaks can also generate a suitable environment for mold growth. That's why it's crucial to deal with mold as soon as you see it establishing its roots. Otherwise, if you ignore the problem, you can end up in a highly unpleasant and dangerous situation. After all, there's nothing more important than safeguarding your home and your health. Therefore, we're giving you six signs you might have mold in your house.

Paint on the walls is coming off

Unusual paint peeling and cracking, particularly on the bathroom walls and around the window, might indicate that the area is humid. This is one of the first signs that you might have mold in your house. And, because moisture is a forerunner to mold, you should treat the problem as soon as possible. Moisture can be caused by various factors, including excessive humidity in the home, a leaking windowsill, or faulty plumbing.

It's crucial to find the source of the moisture to prevent or resolve the issues. Also, keep an eye on your walls and pay special attention to moist places. Repainting damp walls is not a solution since it will not prevent mold from developing or spreading further.

Floors are developing soft spots

If you see soft parts on your hardwood floor, you are most likely dealing with mold. Check for dampness in your basement or crawl space if you have access to them. If left ignored, the mold might spread, requiring the replacement of the entire floor, or at least a substantial section of it.

It is critical to be wary of strange soft patches in order to detect mold development before it becomes an issue. Moreover, removing it using a mold remover is feasible if it hasn't gone too far. Otherwise, it will be challenging to treat it if it has affected a considerable portion of the flooring. Therefore, act on time!

The weird smell from AC or chimney

Mold testing in the HVAC system can assist in determining the source of unpleasant and uncomfortable odors created by mold. This is a particularly prevalent issue with stand-alone units since they are wet, dark, and exposed to high temperatures, providing the ideal setting for mold development. Keeping air conditioners in the basement during the winter might further increase the probability of mold formation.

Likewise, wetness may be a property owner's worst nightmare since it can provide a favorable environment for mold to develop, resulting in a foul odor. That's why it's vital to sweep your AC and chimney regularly, as it will help avoid mold formation.

Flooded sink or toilet

Whether in the basement or the bathroom, any flooding will almost certainly result in mold growth. Mold development can be aided by previous flood damage, an overflowing bathtub, or even leaky sinks. You should also be extremely cautious if you have previously had floods, even if there are no apparent indications of mold. Mold can form later after flooding occurs!

If you find leaky pipes or sinks, it is best to contact a professional as soon as possible to get the problem fixed. This can spare you the bother of replacing items like flooring and sinks in the future.

You have trouble breathing

Another one of the signs that you might have mold in your house is related to your respiratory system. If you are suffering from respiratory issues, breathing difficulty, or coughing, the existence of mold in your home might be the cause. Mold spores have been shown to cause respiratory problems when they find their way into your lungs. Unfortunately, people with respiratory issues, such as asthma, may be affected more severely.

Furthermore, spores can trigger allergic and inflammatory symptoms, resulting in shortness of breath, intense sneezing, and wheezing. If you fear mold is the source of your breathing issues, contact a professional immediately and make an appointment with a doctor for a medical evaluation.

Unfortunately, you might have to move if mold sets its roots deep into your house and you have severe respiratory problems. This is something you don't want to play with. So, if it comes to this, you'll have to find a new place to live and good long-distance movers in Wisconsin that will relocate you with ease. This is a must if you want a trouble-free moving process and professionals taking care of your belongings.

Your eyes are watery

Speaking of signs you might have mold in your house, many people develop allergic responses such as itchy and watery eyes, as well as nasal congestion. If you detect the appearance of one or more of these symptoms, you should check to see if they occur while you are in specific rooms. This might assist in focusing on the exact locations where mold removal services are required.

Besides watery eyes, when you encounter mold, you may experience stinging skin that itches and creates a burning sensation. Some visible side effects include dry and itchy skin. Unfortunately, these symptoms can last for months if you don't address them on time. So, what are some of the most feasible solutions to this problem? First and foremost, you must seek medical assistance if you notice these symptoms. Furthermore, you need to thoroughly and properly dry your clothes. Finally, you must stop piling damp towels in your bathroom!

Final thoughts

Mold is a nasty thing, and dealing with it in your home is difficult, especially if you didn't address the issue on time. That's why we're giving you six signs you might have mold in your house. With these indicators, you can quickly identify the mold problem and call professionals to deal with it properly. If you can identify these signs, you'll prevent any more significant issues in the future. As a result, both your home and health will be saved.

Powered by Top Rated Local®